Holiday Decorating Compromises for Stubborn Sellers
If you decide you cannot live through a holiday seasons without decorating your home, at least keep the decorations to a minimum. Don’t block or cover up important selling features such as fireplace mantels, stairs, stained-glass windows. Consider hiring a home stager to do home staging with the buyer in mind.
- Tone down the size of the tree. In place of a 10-foot tree, try decorating a table-top, four-foot version.
- Stack wrapped presents in a closet or in one corner.
- Use more splashes of red than green because red is an emotionally appealing color.
- Resist the urge to hang banners and use greenery instead such as evergreen or rosemary garlands.
- Display centerpieces made from pine cones or other wintry pieces of nature.
- Never leave candles burning unattended.
- Set a plate of cookies on the counter, next to festive paper napkins for guests.
- Simmer spicy apple cider on the stove, and set out cups and serving utensil.